The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law established both the PROTECT Formula and Discretionary Grant Programs. The PROTECT Discretionary Grants Program funds projects on a competitive basis that address the climate crisis by … Read more
This program provides grant funding for sewer overflow and stormwater infrastructure projects in communities to reduce the flow of pollution into local waters. EPA provides grants to states and territories to make sub-grants to communities for planning, design, and construction of projects that address sanitary sewer overflows, combined sewer overflows, stormwater runoff, and water reuse projects with priority given to disadvantaged communities.
State entities may use funds to plan, design, or construct projects that correct combined sewer overflows, sanitary sewer overflows, stormwater needs, or subsurface drainage needs. States must use at least 20% of their annual allocation for green infrastructure projects. Projects may include but are not limited to: installation of separate sanitary and storm sewers; infiltration/inflow correction; stormwater collection systems; green infrastructure; or other capital projects that mitigate sewer overflows or stormwater concerns. See EPA’s Grant Implementation Document for more details.
State governments and U.S. territories are eligible recipients.
Approx Annual Funding Amount
Program funding can vary year to year; it was funded at $60 million in FY22.
Cost Share Requirements
20% non-federal match is required. In-kind contributions are accepted.
The application cycle varies by EPA region.
For general questions about the Sewer Overflow and Stormwater Reuse Municipal Grants Program, please contact the Clean Water State Revolving Fund Branch at (202) 564-7347, or by email at [email protected]. For questions that require the assistance of an EPA Regional Office, please see the information below.
- EPA Region 1 (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT): Jason Turgeon; [email protected] Phone: 617-918-1637
- EPA Region 2 (NJ, NY, PR, VI): Denis Durack; [email protected] Phone: 212-637-3875
- EPA Region 3 (DE, DC, MD, PA, VA, WV): Magdalene Cunningham; [email protected] Phone: 215-814-2338
- EPA Region 4 (KY, TN, MS): Caroline Ejimofor; [email protected] Phone: 404-562-9309
- EPA Region 5 (MN, WI, IL): Kate Johnson; [email protected] Phone: 312-353-5692
- EPA Region 6 (AR, LA): Miranda Penn; [email protected] Phone: 214-665-7417
- EPA Region 7 (IA, MO): Glenn Curtis; [email protected] Phone: 913-551-7726
- EPA Region 8 (CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY): Benjamin Bents; [email protected] Phone: 303-312-6435
- EPA Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI, NV, AS, GU, CNMI): Elizabeth Borowiec; [email protected] Phone: 415-972-3419
- EPA Region 10 (AK, ID, OR, WA): Sejal Soni; [email protected] Phone: 206-553-1798
This program is covered under the Justice40 Initiative.